[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Discuss-sudbury-model digest, Vol 1 #402 - 6 msgs

From: Dr. Evan Hughes <evanhughes_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon May 28 07:38:00 2007

     Hi Ray,
     On line marketing is a powerful tool now. Almost necessary in any business. The on line
learning your mentioned may help develop interest in the community but I think it's far
from the real point of the Sudbury Model. Immersion is the key! Plugged in to computers
will
get you only so far with the immersion principle. The fact that children are together day in
and
day out, sharing space, time and commitment to be there is a HUGE driving force to how
things work. On line there is little commitment to a space/group or idea.
      Now, because it's so easy and requires so little commitment, it's a great intro to the
idea.
      May I suggest holding community events "run" by children? How about that for interest
generation in to the Sudbury concept? Have events designed, planned and run by students
(with adult supervision and a hands off attitude.) Track day for students, by students.
Community leadership (for students, by students.) Crafts weekend, for children, by
children. Full contact martial arts day, for kids, by kids (well, you get the idea...)
      I think the sudbury model needs to be experienced, and that is a beginning way to do it
and has a nice PR edge to it. This call all be organized on line of course, using chat rooms,
websites and other on line tool (designed for students, by students.)
      From there, once 100,000 people know about the model from these events, you can
send out "hey we're starting a school now" fliers to everyone, who will now have had
experience with the principles at work.

Evan
(SVS alumni)

Hi,

I've been wanting to set up a Sudbury model school in my area (central
Missouri) for quite some time, but have run into what I believe are typical
problems (startup costs, low community interest). As a result I've been
thinking about alternative ways to get a school going.

One thing that I've been thinking about recently is creating an online
learning community - sort of an online Sudbury school.

I teach online courses at the University, and the technology available today
creates a whole range of possibilities for democratic education.

For example, a network of relatively small Sudbury-type learning centers
could be established that could pool instruction. So if a student would
like to learn something about calculus and there is no one in his or her
immediate area that was an expert at it, it could be offered by someone in a
completely different area (who would be able to help several students at a
time). There might be more availability of volunteers too, if there is a
broad range of people from all over the country who are participating.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this.

Thanks,

Ray