[Discuss-sudbury-model] Thoughts on a virtual Sudbury school

From: Ray Luechtefeld <luechtef_at_umr.edu>
Date: Thu May 17 22:24:00 2007

Hi,

I've been wanting to set up a Sudbury model school in my area (central
Missouri) for quite some time, but have run into what I believe are typical
problems (startup costs, low community interest). As a result I've been
thinking about alternative ways to get a school going.

One thing that I've been thinking about recently is creating an online
learning community - sort of an online Sudbury school.

I teach online courses at the University, and the technology available today
creates a whole range of possibilities for democratic education.

For example, a network of relatively small Sudbury-type learning centers
could be established that could pool instruction. So if a student would
like to learn something about calculus and there is no one in his or her
immediate area that was an expert at it, it could be offered by someone in a
completely different area (who would be able to help several students at a
time). There might be more availability of volunteers too, if there is a
broad range of people from all over the country who are participating.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this.

Thanks,

Ray