[Discuss-sudbury-model] Wanted: Inspiring, disgruntled teachers

From: Joshua Hornick <jhornick_at_umassk12.net>
Date: Fri Mar 30 09:59:00 2007

Wanted:

Passionate,

inspired,

disgruntled

secondary school teachers.

We may have an alternative for you. We're different from Sudbury,
and we have a lot in common. The Sudbury folks and the North Star
folks have a lot of admiration for one another. Mimsy suggested that
I share this announcement with this listserve.

Eleven years ago, two passionate, inspired, etc, etc, teachers
started North Star: Self-Directed Learning for Teens, a new sort of
learning support organization. It has been successful, and we are
now at the point where we think that others might be interested in
replicating the North Star model.

Toward this end, we are hosting a two-day workshop, May 19-20, 2007,
at North Star, in Hadley, Massachusetts, to introduce the model to
people who might consider starting similar organizations. More
information about North Star can be found at our web site,
www.northstarteens.org. Or you could read the cover article about
North Star from the November/December Teacher Magazine (Click here,
“Teacher Magazine Don’t Call It School”). Information about the
workshop can be found on the North Star web site by clicking the
button marked “Replication.”

Please forward this to any secondary school teachers you know. Even
if they are not interested, they will likely know others that are.

Thank you,

Joshua Hornick

President

North Star: Self-Directed Learning for Teens

March 2007