RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Upcoming screenings of

From: wmvh <vivalaarte_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat Mar 24 21:06:00 2007

The trailer looked great! Would like to see the movie but live in Arkansas. I would certainly be interested when a DVD comes out.

It hits close to home. I am a Middle School Art teacher in a public school. THough I am only in my 3rd year, I am already burning out. Every day at school I am thinking, this is not right, this is not the way people learn. Kids who don't want to be there, the regiment of time constraints, the assignments, the number of students in a room at one time demanding my attention. It doesn't work. Education, for me, is about relationships, talking to others, sharing, working together (or working alone). There are a few fine moments when I get the chance to sit and talk with a student about what they are working on. I love those moments when a student is finding his/her personal solution to a artistic problem. Each of these solutions are unique and I learn a little something from each of them.

But what is a teacher supposed to do? How do you get a job in a school that only has 5 - 10 staff members? Besides reading the books, which I have done, does anyone have any idea on how to get a job in this very small job market?

Thanks. William

William Van Horn
http://inmystudio.net