[Discuss-sudbury-model] Location advice

From: Lea Pitcher <lea.pitcher_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 22 16:32:01 2007

Lea Pitcher, one of the founders of Katuah Sudbury School here. My husband
and I have decided to move from Asheville, NC. The good news is that Katuah
Sudbury School is in great hands and continues to grow!

We are looking at Ojai, CA and possibly San Luis Obispo, CA and I would
greatly appreciate any insights into these areas. Ojai looks like an area
that is very open to alternative education but I haven't figured out what
makes a place Sudbury-friendly. I would have sworn that Asheville would
be THE place with its "progressive" sub-culture - but our school appeals
neither to the "liberal" nor "conservative" groups in Asheville - both want
a more controlled environment for their children. Perhaps a more affluent
area? Or a place with higher education levels?

Thank you for your insights. The thought of moving somewhere without a
Sudbury school makes me a bit anxious. However, my daughters are 4 yrs old
and 9 months old, so I figure I have a little time to start another school.
Also, every community deserves a Sudbury School.
In gratitude,
Lea

p.s. Our choice of location is being guided by my husband's need for maximum
sunshine in order to thrive and our desire to have a more active lifestyle.
We are both self-employed and thus have the freedom to live almost anywhere.