Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Newbie with questions about safety

From: Mimsy Sadofsky <mimsys_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Dec 1 21:02:00 2006

Dear Naomi,

Of course you are worried about safety -- your children are at an age
where they still are not totally capable of being safe on their own.
Some of your concerns will go away as they reach the age to go to
Fairhaven; some don't go away for a while. Other concerns about your
children follow you, the parent, your whole life!

We depend on two things in Sudbury schools.

The first is that the enrolling child has reached a maturity that
will allow him/her to be free within the boundaries of the school's
rules. For instance, kids who go in the street if they are told not
to are not yet ready to enroll. Crossing streets is hard, takes
skills and maturity, and kids should approach streets slowly and as
they are ready. I have a grandson who I felt couldn't cross a busy
street until he was about 10 (I am sure I was wrong, but not very
wrong), whereas I was allowed to cross an extremely busy city street
at 6. Different kids mature differently. Most 4 or 5 year olds are
perfectly capable of staying out of the water if told that the rules
say they can't go in the water. It is once again maturity. (Some
children are born cautious; others learn it later, but we would just
as soon none of them did death-defying feats at school!)

Being a victim of a random drive-by shooting? Is there a way to
prevent that? A lot of people would like to know what it is if there
is. But being moderately cautious around strangers is not so hard to
teach to those few kids who aren't born knowing it. I don't know of
any Sudbury schools that allow very young children the freedom of
wandering the streets alone!

The second thing we rely on is other kids (and the adults, but there
are not as many of them). No child at a Sudbury school is constantly
being watched, but there are lots of people that are sort of tuned in
to each other's well-being, safety, etc. It is not just your friends
who are watching out for you when you are little, or to put it
another way, everyone is one of your friends when you are little and
constantly sensitive to your welfare.

These questions are going to look a little less terrifying as your
kids mature a bit. (Near as I can tell, no Sudbury school has had a
terrible accident happen to a child at school or on a school trip.
The thing is, kids who are trusted become much more self-reliant at a
much earlier age than kids who are not. It is the old respect thing
-- respect them and they behave quite respectably. I think that is
why even the ordinary schoolyard accidents are much less frequent in
our schools. The kids are exuberant, lively, extremely active, but
not wild and not out of control.)

Mimsy Sadofsky
mimsys_at_comcast.net