[Discuss-sudbury-model] Parents on campus

From: <dannyasher_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Nov 30 11:07:01 2006

Ann Ide wrote in a recent post, "At SVS, it may be 'in the books' (policy and textbooks) that kids will be supported in following their interests. But in our experience and perception, if the staff don't have the skills in an area of desired interest, then you pretty much have to pay more money ( and coming up with tuition is hard enough for many) to take a class outside of school, or do it 'on your own'. It seems to take an inordinate amount of commitment and effort to try and get something going otherwise. I fear that this makes it discouraging to explore something with a real human being, versus just reading about it."

I have no problem with people venturing any opinions at all about various aspects of the model, whether or not I agree with them. But I have a problem when statements are made are contrary to fact about any particular situation - in this case, about what happens at Sudbury Valley when "the staff don't have the skills in an area of desired interest." In fact, the school has a long-standing stated policy, adopted as an educational policy by the Assembly many years ago, concerning this subject - to wit, the school will support, to the best of its financial ability, any interest, even if it requires outside expertise, if the subject matter concerned is one that is supported in the general community of traditional schools. (Examples: Spanish classes; French classes - before Denise Geddes joined the staff; assistance in establishing a music studio - before Mark joined the staff; and so forth.) If the subject matter concerned is one that is outside the range of subjects generally covered in traditional schools,
 the school will, on a case by case basis (by determination of the School Meeting, or by determination of an agent designated by the School Meeting, such as the Source Corporation), consider whether to allot space in school for that enterprise and, if so, how much and when, and whether to charge for the space and the overhead associated with the space; and the instruction will have to be paid for by the participants, privately. (Examples: Martial Arts instruction, private piano lessons, and, currently, dance classes.)

Daniel Greenberg
Sudbury Valley