RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] 7 Lessons Taught in School

From: Amanda Phillips <aphillips_at_law.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue Nov 28 21:31:42 2006

When I dropped off Elaine at Sudbury Valley on her first day a few years
ago, I (unthinkingly) tried to encourage her to stop being shy and say
hello to another student she remembered from visiting week. Fortunately,
Mimsy happened to be nearby. :) I barely got out the words "Elaine, you
can go..." in that encouraging motherly tone before Mimsy stopped me
with a "No, she can't!" Mimsy taught me two important things:
1) This natural parental habit of encouraging certain behaviors is
wholly out of place in this environment where the kids are in the
drivers seat.
2) As progressive and antiauthoritarian and libertarian as I think I am,
I still sometimes unthinkingly try to control my child's behavior when I
shouldn't. It's hard not to, because it seems like just yesterday she
needed me to tie her shoes. Now she doesn't need me to tie her shoes
anymore, but sometimes I still instinctively reach for the laces.

It was a great lesson that I've never forgotten. I cherish the times
when I *am* invited on campus, but I completely get why I shouldn't be
there. Still, it's hard, because sometimes I'd love to join Elaine in a
game of four square or read a book under a tree. But it's better for her
and all the other kids if I don't.

Amanda