RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] 7 Lessons Taught in School

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Nov 28 20:46:00 2006

My children, who attended SVS for 16 years, made it abundantly clear that
they did not want me to have any part of their SVS experience, especially
the first year. There was a palpable thrill they got each and every fall
that they were going into their world, their place, their own experience.
There were a number of instances throughout the years where my kids were
affected by the presence of another student's parent who had an agenda. I
rather enjoyed their indignation that their rights had been infringed upon.
To them it was definately not okay. Dang, if that isn't why I sent them
there. Somehow it's hard to picture self-goverance with mommy and daddy
there. I teach private music lessons. I truly cannot do it with a parent
in the room. It is their very inability to separate the child's experience
from their own that gets in the way. They are watching for manners, how
clever is the kid, how can they assist by knowing the lesson, etc. It is
always a total disaster. I am, on the other hand focusing on how does this
student think, what music do they like, capturing their imagination, etc.
I'm wondering if a parent who wants to be a lot involved with the school
experience could ever be happy with SVS. Just my opinion

Carol Hughes

  _____