RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] 7 Lessons Taught in School

From: Eli Roth <eliroth_at_cwo.com>
Date: Tue Nov 28 13:01:10 2006

It just seems artificial to me to segregate two parts of my child's life
- school and non-school. While I understand the logistical necessity of
having a separate location for the operation of the school, the
exclusion of parents makes this segregation more complete than it needs
to be. Regardless of her independence, I am a part of my child's life,
just as she is of mine. I allow her to come to work with me to observe
(and help where possible if she wishes) because I do not want to have a
secret life that she cannot be a part of. It would be nice if the
school environment were open the same way - perhaps only at the child's
request in order to protect that independence. My daughter has
repeatedly asked me to be there and so, obviously, does not like the
exclusion either. The school does allow parents to act as volunteers,
but does not otherwise allow a parent to be at the school for more than
15 minutes at a time.

Elizabeth