Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] 7 Lessons Taught in School

From: <JMMancasola_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Nov 28 12:20:01 2006

In a message dated 11/27/2006 7:28:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
eliroth_at_cwo.com writes:

The "exclusion" of parents occasionally distresses me as a parent, not
because I do not want my daughter to be independent and have her "own"
place, but because I feel like I am missing out on watching her grow. I
do not want her to need me, but I do enjoy seeing her in her discovery
process.

Elizabeth

This distresses me also. There is an unspoken assumption
that children need to be protected from their parents -- the
very people who love and care about them the most. This
mindset exemplifies a lack of trust and faith in the laws
of nature and in the importance of human's trusting themselves
to do what is correct for their children. How can we ignore the
heap of anthropological studies which show historically how
children thrive and flourish as they grow up along side of their
parents - without being "protected" by any institution!

Molly