Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] 7 Lessons Taught in School

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Tue Nov 28 12:04:00 2006

Scott stated:
 " In the day-to-day life of the school, parents
 are *not* welcome. The school is the *child's* place, not the
 parents'."

I know this is the case at the Sudbury Valley School, but aren't there other
Sudbury model schools that actually utilize parents as resources in a number
of ways, while still allowing the school to be the "child's place"? I'm
pretty sure I have heard of parents being used to help with PR activiites,
and on campus to teach something, and in other volunteer roles to help the
school function and thrive. Doesn't Fairhaven do this? And I think Big
Rock does, too. If any of you out there do use parents as resources, I'd be
interested in hearing in what capacities, how that works, if and how the
kids are affected by it, and, essentially, how it still meets the goals of
the model.

Thanks,
Ann Ide