[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Power and money and tangents

From: <Stuartwwms_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Nov 23 10:33:00 2006

Hi all,

Scott commented:
Stuart's original post and this thread are clearly off topic.
My original post was a response to a post on "First Amendment Schools", a
public school program. I defended the idea, unlike everybody else who attacked
it. Scott singles out my post alone as being off-topic, which suggests that
dissent is not allowed on this list.

Or perhaps Scott is referring not to my original post but to my second (and
final) one, in which I answered criticisms of my first post. I commented at the
very outset of that second post that it was not related to the Sudbury model,
because I didn't want to waste the time of those not interested in the topic
under discussion. If Scott is referring to that second post, then he has a
point, and I apologize for violating the rules of the list.

This makes me realize that I prefer a freer approach to discussion, one that
is more open to tangents. I can see the downside of a less focused list, in
that subscribers may decide that the bulk of the posts are irrelevant to them
and therefore stop reading the list entirely. The upside is that people may
occasionally share something they feel passionate about without getting squelched.
I just got squelched and it doesn't feel good, so I am unsubscribing.
Sayonara, folks.

Stuart