RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] First Amendment Schools

From: Amanda Phillips <aphillips_at_law.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue Nov 14 00:26:00 2006

Corporations & American democracy are apples & oranges - the voting
structures exist for entirely different purposes.

About the New York Times shareholder voting. it was voluntarily set up that
way for good reasons (which I won't bore everyone with here). The
shareholders paid what they thought the stock was worth, and no one forced
them to buy. It may seem like an odd voting structure to the uninformed, but
it was voluntary and everyone involved consented to it so the buyers
ostensively thought the voting structure wasn't a bad idea. You just can't
compare it with American democracy, where voting serves an entirely
different purpose than in corporations, is not attached to shares of
ownership, and is not flexible in structure.

Consent is extremely important. Those students at the First Amendment
Schools do not consent to much of anything, but they're being told that they
have freedom. That creates a cynical and distorted view of freedom, which
can be very harmful. I'd rather have an honest authoritarian school where at
least they weren't blowing smoke up my ass. Better yet, a Sudbury school.

Amanda

(wondering how I can convert my power & money into more votes on next
election day)

  _____