Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] First Amendment Schools

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_unseelie.org>
Date: Mon Nov 13 21:43:01 2006

Stuart,

I am proud of American democracy, as are you. Political democracy,
with pluralism, and the great liberties, It is a satisfying modern
answer to many ancient problems. I think that few people will disagree
with you that American freedoms and traditions are great things.

This pride came to me young, because I grew up in liberty and
equality. But it almost passed me by.

The notion that one can learn anything *useful* about the right to
freely assemble without *breathing* the air of liberty seems silly.
And probably counter-productive. Being *told* about rights that one
supposedly has (by flag waving but pedantic do-gooders in the First
Amendment project), but which one clearly *doesn't* have, is a sure
way to breed cynicism.

I know. I was on that path while I was in school. Beginning to think
that liberty, equality, and the bill of rights were pie-in-the-sky
crock. The words felt more like bread and circuses, than sincere
values of the culture *I* was in as a child in grade school. It took a
while after being plunged head-first into a *real* pluralistic culture
of respect, for me to shed my armor and accept that it was something
other than a crock.

I can say, unequivocally, that had I remained in traditional school,
and then been introduced to a "First Amendment" curriculum, I would
have been lucky to believe that *anyone* in this world (besides the
strong) had real liberty.

If one is going to deny liberty and human dignity to children, it is
better to be up front about it than to *pretend* that they enjoy the
great freedoms. At least then, they can look forward to *becoming*
full Americans at some later point of their lives.

I'm with Woty. Free Speech as guaranteed by the first amendment
depends upon Free Assembly, also guaranteed by the First Amendment;
which in turn means nothing without the freedom to *not* assemble (and
when you are forced to go to your "First Amendment" class at a certain
time, you certainly do *not* have the freedom to not assemble).

--
-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sgray_at_unseelie.org