Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] First Amendment Schools

From: <Stuartwwms_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Nov 13 19:51:02 2006

Despite its inherent contradictions, the First Amendment Schools project
seems like a good idea: it appears to encourage student participation in
decision-making (though it's hard not to be cynical about the possibility of students
actually having any power over important decisions).

For that matter, though, it's hard not to be cynical about corporate and
American democracy. Certain corporations, such as the New York Times, have a
voting structure that gives certain shareholders 100 votes for each share they
hold, and other shareholders 1 vote per share. That is pretty much the way
American democracy works, too: people with power and/or money get 100 votes, those
who lack them get 1.

Though I am pretty darn cynical, I will take American democracy over the
forms of government that exist in most of the rest of the world. Similarly, I
would probably prefer to attend a First Amendment School over most non-First
Amendment Schools.

Stuart Williams