RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] essentials of democratic schools (was: "setting limits")

From: Joseph Moore <joseph_at_ivorycc.com>
Date: Wed Nov 1 13:03:01 2006

My 2 cents:

The distinction between 'real' and 'pretend' democratic schools being
made here is vital: kids can smell a rat, and, if you tell them they are
responsible for their own education and lives, then hold back real
power, they will know it. Pretend democracy destroys the trust upon
which Sudbury model education is built.

On a practical level, it is typical for a kid who comes to our school
after having spent a few years in 'regular' school to spend a good chunk
of time testing who is really in charge, by doing or not doing things
which, in other schools, would have gotten them called on the carpet.
They'll sleep all day, or leave messes, or whatever, just waiting for
the adult staff to jump in and intervene. One of the hardest things to
get across to some parents is that we will NOT intervene (beyond the
remonstrate/write 'em up steps available to everybody), that some kids
need time to absorb the idea that, no, we really mean it - you are in
charge of your life! YOU make it work. Democracy is the framework under
which both personal rights and the interests of the group are protected.
It's got to be real - the kids have to be able to make the rules, spend
the money and fire the staff. If not, it's just pretend, they aren't
really in control, and they'll resume trying to game the system somehow
in order to preserve some shred of dignity.

Seeing kids accept responsibility and then watching what they do with it
is a source of great satisfaction.

Joseph