Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] essentials of democratic schools (was: "setting limits")

From: Mike South <msouth_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 31 15:20:01 2006

On 10/30/06, Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net> wrote:

> Scott,
>
> With all due respect, you didn't answer the question that was asked, which
> took to mean, "In your opinion, what practices and policies have a school
> live up to the definition of 'democratic' which you have given below?"

Let me preface this by saying that I was also thinking "um, and your
answer?" when I read the response, but he did say

'Virtually none of the schools in the "democratic schools"
movement actually invest students with equal political voice in a body
with supreme power.'

, which is pretty direct, and if you collect that with the indirect things
stated about equality and liberty, you get a pretty good picture. If you
wanted it in list form or something you might try:

1) Students' voices are equally as strong (e.g. one person, one vote) as
anyone else's.

2) The voice referred to in item 1 is a voice in the actual supreme law of
the school, not just in some auxiliary body that gets to decide between
three different school lunch menus or among any other limited set of options
presented by some other body that actually does have supreme power and will
veto anything the students decide that goes beyond what restricted freedom
they have decided to hand over.

Also, just to be clear, the original post asked two questions, not one. In
addition to the one about defining a democratic school, there was one
essentially asking what the democratic-in-name-only schools were missing.

I think you can get the answer to both questions from his response.
Something like "equal voice in the supreme law of the school" for the
definition, and "various forms of pretending to be equal but really giving
some external group of adults the real power in deciding what the students
will be allowed to decide." for the failure modes.

Of course they weren't my words so I might be overinterpreting.

mike

~Alan Klein