RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] RE: "setting limits"

From: Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net>
Date: Mon Oct 30 11:51:01 2006

Hi Scott David (et al),

I guess what makes the second alternative less desirable as a first choice
are two things:

1. It leaves out (or at least bypasses or postpones until the JC process
occurs) the human to human dialog and debate that typify healthy
communities, especially in the gray areas. For example, I may be jumping on
the couch and believing that I am well within the rules of the school, as I
have not thought out the long-term ramifications of wear and tear on the
couch. If you just write me up without talking to me first, I will continue
to jump, which may cause the couch to break. Also, I lose the opportunity to
be influenced by, and learn from, you as you let me know why you believe my
actions violate the school property rule.

2. This leads to the second - clogging the JC. It is certainly possible,
even likely, that I would be influenced by you and stop my behavior, thereby
eliminating the need for a JC complaint.

Remember, this is all predicated on Wendy's second option being used as an
avenue of first resort. If you (or others) have already discussed your
concerns with me and I continue the behavior, then certainly I see less
downside to simply writing a complaint, with no discussion.

~Alan Klein