Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] RE: "setting limits"

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_unseelie.org>
Date: Mon Oct 30 10:12:00 2006

On 10/30/06, Alan Klein <alan_at_klein.net> wrote:

> In reality, depending on context and history, I could see the staff member
> (or any member of the School Meeting) doing any of those things. I would
> hope that no one would do the second of the actions unless they had already
> exhausted one and three, but it would be their choice, I suppose.

     What is wrong with Wendy's second alternative ("just keep going
about their business and file the complaint")? In our school (Sudbury
Valley) there are often staff and students alike, who feel that there
are times and places that it is important to let the school's judicial
processes handle something, and that one's own business at that moment
may be more pressing than stopping to cajole others in order to avoid
a complaint.
     Very often, School Meeting members here don't feel that asking
people to stop has *any* bearing at all on whether a complaint should
be filed. (Though, in sentencing, there may be a difference between
how people are sentenced for a complaint that reads "X was
roughhousing on a couch," "X was roughhousing on a couch and didn't
stop when asked," and "X was roughhousing on a couch and failed to
stop when asked.")

--
-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sgray_at_unseelie.org