Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] "setting limits"

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_unseelie.org>
Date: Sun Oct 29 21:27:00 2006

Well, I can't speak for any of the many, many schools that use the
word "democratic" to describe themselves, but which are clearly *not*
democratic by any reasonable use of the term.

However, in a Sudbury school, an adult who wanted to take action in
response to a behavior which the School Meeting had forbidden by
statute (e.g. "abuse of property") would do the exact same thing as
*any* member of that community would/could. In our case at Sudbury
Valley, one would write a judicial complaint (to be reviewed by our
"Judicial Committee -- akin to a grand jury), and let due process of
law take its course.

--
-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sgray_at_unseelie.org