Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Reading Suggestions

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_unseelie.org>
Date: Mon Sep 25 20:08:01 2006

     Killing Monsters is a great book, through and through -- heck
Gerard Jones (the author) is a great comic book writer.

     Everything Bad is Good For You has a peculiar problem with it...
     The author doesn't remain committed to his thesis. In the last
chapter (or two?) he expresses doubts, and back-peddles, offering no
explanation or evidence for his back-peddling. It is *conceivable*
that he is being ironic, and doing so poorly -- but it seems more
likely to me that he is either buckling to "political" demands by his
publisher to get his book published or giving voice to his own inner
demons. It really reminds me of Augustine's confessions -- applying
reason humility and humor for pages, and then suddenly announcing with
no clear explanation "but of course the scriptures tell us this,
instead, so you can ignore the other arguments I built."

     Judith Harris's book over-sell its point I think, and makes a
too-big deal of a relatively simple point. And, in fact, the book
reads like an opportunity for neglectful parents to excuse themselves.
Her thesis is that there *are* no parenting techniques that work.
However, a careful review of the social science literature finds no
clear *proactive* parenting strategies (cultural outings together,
reading aloud, family mealtime, banning video games, playing video
games together) that make any statistically noticeable difference in
future happiness or misery or "success" by any various criterion --
but finds a plethora of parental *attitudes* and *circumstances* that
*do* seem to make a difference on various measures (whether or not the
parents are respectful or disrespectful to one another other adults
and children, whether or not they show sincere concern and caring,
whether or not they find are employed, whether or not they find their
outside jobs fulfilling).

     Not precisely books on how people learn, but books from which one
can take away a great deal of relevant information, as well as a sense
of how the current traditional education system was established: David
Nasaw is an historian of the family and children's life, and wrote two
spectacular books that come to mind -- Schooled to Order, and Children
of the City.

--
-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sgray_at_unseelie.org