RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Reading Suggestions

From: Dilyara Breyer <dilyara_at_bigrock.org>
Date: Mon Sep 25 18:30:00 2006

Joseph,

Great idea! Makes me want to come too!

I personally would like to discuss The Nurture Assumption: Why Children Turn
Out the Way They Do by
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-autho
r-exact=Judith%20Rich%20Harris&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank
/102-1955152-4887314> Judith Rich Harris

http://www.amazon.com/Nurture-Assumption-Children-Turn-They/dp/0684857073/sr
=1-5/qid=1159220123/ref=sr_1_5/102-1955152-4887314?ie=UTF8
<http://www.amazon.com/Nurture-Assumption-Children-Turn-They/dp/0684857073/s
r=1-5/qid=1159220123/ref=sr_1_5/102-1955152-4887314?ie=UTF8&s=books>
&s=books

It was so disturbing to me as it went against the grain of what I grew up
with. It has rocked the psychology world as well.

The book that everyone is talking about here is Madeline Levine's Price Of
Privilege. When she spoke in Book Passage recently, there was at least 500
people crowd, only Al Gore who spoke there this summer beat that :-) You
might be able to invite her to the reading as well. I do not know how
Sudbury related the book is. It is still very mainstream but the author is
talking about a crisis in parenting/education.

The one that I like to re-read is Living Joyfully With Children by Win &
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-autho
r-exact=Bill%20Sweet&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/102-19551
52-4887314> Bill Sweet. The authors actually were the ones who told us about
Sudbury philosophy. Their grandkids went to Cedarwood Sudbury School. My
friends borrow that one all the time.

I love recent books that SVS published (Pursuit of Happiness, Clear View,
Reflections) as well as the classic ones (Free at last, Education in
America, Kingdom of Childhood).

 What about book that Jen published recently?

I also like the one that Eric recommended: How to Talk So Kids Will Listen &
Listen So Kids Will Talk.

Congratulations on 10th anniversary!

Dilyara Breyer

Big Rock Sudbury School