Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Reading Suggestions

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Mon Sep 25 15:10:01 2006

Wow, what a super idea ! And there's so much to choose from! I'm thinking that it might help to take care of the importance that many people place on academic backing (ironic as that is) for our model. Peter Gray, a trustee at Sudbury Valley and a professor at Boston College, has done research, and I assume written about, the importance of play in learning. He did a talk for us one year, and it was very helpful. You might contact the SVS office as to how to contact him for his paper(s), if that interests you.

Alfie Kohn also might be worthwhile. He wrote the Schools Our Children Deserve, but also has a new one out on the Homework myth (don't know exact title). Saw him on TV recently, talking about it. Maybe others have, too.

Also, the SVS Press has published so many great articles, too. Having some easier, shorter reading might draw more people. Another shorter, easy read, and very helpful to me as a parent, was A Clearer View (Danny Greenberg).

Good luck!

Ann Ide