RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] video gaming @ school?

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Aug 29 16:55:00 2006

Being able to choose... Well anything is such an important part of life. I
once took a child who was 9 into my home for a couple of weeks in the summer
for "the Fresh Air Fund". It is a program that places kids from the inner
city of New York in homes around New England for two weeks. I had such a
romantic idea of how we would all bond and be friends for life and blah blah
blah. Well, the reality was that this child, for his own safety, had to be
locked into his apartment after school while his parents worked. He
couldn't ride a bicyle, swim, or play games of any kind with my two boys. I
had never seen a child who didn't know how to play before. It was a shock.
There were children in this group who freaked out when they heard a vacuum
cleaner for the first time. My point is, well this kid was a whiz at
Nintendo. But the realities of the environment were what they were and he
lacked serious skills for life. Any child playing any game is taking in all
kinds of things that are happening around him. A one minute conversation
can change a life. This boy didn't know how to choose, because he didn't
have many choices. Despite my romantic notion of helping him, it was I who
was given a powerful lesson. Play is everything! Think about it.

Carol