[Discuss-sudbury-model] Directory of Democratic Education (Now Available!)

From: Isaac Graves <isaacgraves_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 13 13:00:00 2006

*

Only a limited number of copies are available. Purchase a copy for yourself
or your school today by visiting:

http://www.educationrevolution.org/directory.html
*
**
*The Directory of Democratic Education (Now Available!)*
*Edited by Dana M. Bennis & Isaac R. Graves*

*Inaugural Edition*

With Contributions from *ZoŽ Readhead, Mimsy Sadofsky, Jerry Mintz, Chris
Mercogliano, Yaacov Hecht, David Gribble, John R. Hiner Jr., Olivia Frey,
and Dana M. Bennis*

*Inside the Directory:*
---Detailed contact information for 175 democratic schools representing 28
countries worldwide
---Detailed descriptions and overviews for 50 of these schools
---Listings and descriptions for over 15 unique colleges and universitites
---Listings and descriptions for over 15 organizations that promote and
support democratic education
---A comprehensive resource list of over 40 must-read books on democratic
education

*Only a limited number of copies are available. Purchase a copy for
yourself or your school today by visiting:*

*http://www.educationrevolution.org/directory.html*

*Democratic education* begins with freedom and respect for young people. In
the past 10 to 20 years, there has been a surge of interest in this
educational approach, leading to the creation of new democratic schools
throughout the world. This directory lists 175 early childhood, primary, and
secondary democratic schools located in 28 countries involving an estimated
12,000-15,000 students. These numbers will only increase as we progress into
the information age of the 21st century and beyond, as more and more people
realize the deep significance of basing education on freedom, respect, and
self-determination. This directory is an attempt to catalogue the schools,
colleges, and organizations worldwide that are dedicated to the practice of
democratic education.

Our experiences working in and visiting democratic schools around the world
have convinced us that there is a need for more information and published
material about this educational approach. While each school and project is
doing profound work in their small niches, we gain support, context, and new
ideas by knowing about the work of others. We hope the information and
articles in this directory help promote democratic education by further
connecting the schools and organizations supporting this approach, as well
as demonstrating the variety within this field. Ultimately, our goal in
creating this directory is to help in the effort to provide more children
with the opportunity to live and grow in an environment of freedom and
respect.