Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_unseelie.org>
Date: Fri Jul 21 18:38:00 2006

On 7/21/06, Ryan Singer <ryan.singer_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> The lack of explicit curriculum [in Sudbury schools] interefers with the idea of "finishing
> school".

  Indeed. I would add, also, lack of *implicit* curriculum.
  This is one of the key differences between Sudbury schools and many
schools that refer to themselves as free schools. And it is a *huge*
difference.
  Many, many schools that refer to themselves as free, see their job
as "waiting for the child to be ready to learn" -- by which they mean
learn or study particular things, sometimes in a formal way and
sometimes in an informal way. This is emphatically not the case at SVS
-- we are confident and happy that people are (by nature) always
learning all the time, and as a community categorically refuse to
define categories of things that people "should" know.
  SVS does not have an end in mind, that people reach at different
rates. It is a place where people live their lives and get lots of
time to live their lives in a safe and caring environment, getting
better at being themselves all the time (because, as I say, learning
all the time is what people do).

> My understanding of how student graduate from Sudbury is that they decide they are
> ready to move on, and they write and defend a thesis that they are ready to go to
> college/get a job/ participate in society as an adult.
>
> I see no reason someone couldn't do that at 16 just as easily as 18, if they
> were passionate enough about what they wanted to do next that they felt
> ready to go to college for it.

  I'd add one thing here... Graduation is basically irrelevant to
daily school life in a Sudbury school (and, many would argue,
graduation draws in elements that are basically at odds with what
Sudbury schools do). Which is one reason why the desire some people
have for Sudbury schools to offer diplomas creates major dilemmas for
Sudbury schools.
  Not every Sudbury school offers a diploma. And many people in
Sudbury schools that do offer diplomas, see an inherent contradiction
which is swallowed because so many people *want* a means to obtain a
diploma in the context of the school.
  However, it should be *absolutely* clear that being ready to move on
to the rest of one's life is *not* synonymous with a high school
diploma. People who choose to leave the school always have our
blessing and support. Whether or not one goes through our diploma
process or not, successfully or not, is irrelevant.

--
-- Scott David Gray
http://www.unseelie.org