Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Fri Jul 21 18:27:01 2006

I graduated SVS at 18, which many people do. A year later I went to
college. My friend Lyric left at 16, and she immediately went to
college. I think you can graduate as soon as you can prove you are
ready, at SVS. This was in 1996, though, and things may have changed in
the last 10 years.

Cheers,
Tay

On 21 Jul, 2006, at 16.09, Ryan Singer wrote:

> On 7/21/06, timhoent2345hg_at_juno.com <timhoent2345hg_at_juno.com> wrote:
> >
> > One other question I had about the school system is whether or not
> students
> > can finish a couple years early, since they work at their own
> pace.  If they
> > could, this would be good for students who will eventually want to
> attend
> > medical school or graduate school, since they wouldn't be so old
> after so
> > many years of education!  Let me know if you get a chance.
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> This is an interesting concept for sudbury schools, as the lack of
> explicit curriculum interefers with the idea of "finishing school".
> My understanding of how student graduate from Sudbury is that they
> decide they are ready to move on, and they write and defend a thesis
> that they are ready to go to college/get a job/ participate in society
> as an adult.
>
> I see no reason someone couldn't do that at 16 just as easily as 18,
> if they were passionate enough about what they wanted to do next that
> they felt ready to go to college for it.
>
> Ryan
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tim

> _
> >  Try Juno Platinum for Free! Then, only $9.95/month!
> >  Unlimited Internet Access with 1GB of Email Storage.
> >  Visit http://www.juno.com/value to sign up today!
> >

> --
> Ryan Singer

-Tay