Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model

From: Ryan Singer <ryan.singer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 16:12:01 2006

On 7/21/06, timhoent2345hg_at_juno.com <timhoent2345hg_at_juno.com> wrote:

> One other question I had about the school system is whether or not
students
> can finish a couple years early, since they work at their own pace. If
they
> could, this would be good for students who will eventually want to attend
> medical school or graduate school, since they wouldn't be so old after so
> many years of education! Let me know if you get a chance.

Hi Tim,

This is an interesting concept for sudbury schools, as the lack of explicit
curriculum interefers with the idea of "finishing school". My understanding
of how student graduate from Sudbury is that they decide they are ready to
move on, and they write and defend a thesis that they are ready to go to
college/get a job/ participate in society as an adult.

I see no reason someone couldn't do that at 16 just as easily as 18, if they
were passionate enough about what they wanted to do next that they felt
ready to go to college for it.

Ryan

--
Ryan Singer