[Discuss-sudbury-model] Sudbury Model

From: <timhoent2345hg_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 16:04:01 2006

Hi. I think the Sudbury Model schools are very interesting. It seems like the students would really get to learn and develop more than in a regular school setting. I find that most of regular schooling involves repetition of materials already learned and "busy-work". In this system, it seems that the students would get to learn things they are interested in and not have to do busy work. It seems to be more like a research oriented graduate school program. I do not have any children that are old enough to attend school yet, but I will definitely consider sending them to a Sudbury type school. I am a member of the society for barefoot living, so I asked the questions about bare feet in school to get an idea of how Sudbury parents think about shoes not being required in the schools, which I read about on the Parents for Barefoot Children website.
One other question I had about the school system is whether or not students can finish a couple years early, since they work at their own pace. If they could, this would be good for students who will eventually want to attend medical school or graduate school, since they wouldn't be so old after so many years of education! Let me know if you get a chance.
Thanks,
Tim