Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] SCHOOLED

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Thu Jul 20 17:11:00 2006

Scott, I totally agree. For this reason I wonder how it will impact
certain issues, for example: who is drawn to Sudbury-model schools, and
what kinds of misconceptions do they have about them? Will any Sudbury
schools ever receive state funding (if that is at all a goal of the
school), and how seriously will anyone take us if they have this
particular type of false image?

I never thought of SVS as having "no rules", because that's obviously
way untrue. In fact there are probably a lot more rules in many ways...
you just don't tend to notice them as much because, well, they MAKE
SENSE. By "no rules" I think I was more referring to the erroneous way
in which people always seemed to view SVS, which irritated me as I can
see it does you.

When I was trying to get in to SVS, and my parents were debating the
affordability of it all, my public school told me that I qualified for
a publicly funded education at one of several private 'alternative'
schools, and that SVS was one of them, but they didn't want to send me
or anyone else there because "the kids are just hanging out the windows
there, and we don't like to encourage it". The phrase "hanging out the
windows" was spoke with that kind of disgusted emphasis that people
usually reserve for cursing.

Consequently, the school I attended for the first half of my sophomore
year in high school was the Arlington School, a school for children
with serious mental health challenges, where kids were occasionally
removed from classrooms in 8 point restraint and taken up to McLean
Mental Hospital. I once saw a teacher call a student a "stupid little
b*tch" there, in front of the rest of the class. Apparently, this was
the place that the commonwealth of Massachusetts considered "more
healthy".

This was in 1993 or 1994, I think.