[Discuss-sudbury-model] SCHOOLED

From: Brooks Elms <lbrookse_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Jul 20 11:58:01 2006

Andrey wrote:
** ACCEPTED is a comedy motion picture about a group of
** high school seniors who, after being rejected from all
** colleges to which they had applied, create the fictional
** South Harmon Institute of Technology to fool their parents.

Yeah, ACCEPTED is is a broad humor comedy for teens.

There is another film coming out soon called SCHOOLED
and it's a serious character study about a high school teacher
who pulls himself out of a life crisis when he spends some time
hanging around a Sudbury model school.

And I know all this because I wrote and directed the film. :-)

I was deeply influenced by the Sudbury Press books and
audio lectures (some I've listened to dozens of times),
and influenced by the work of A.S. Neill, Wilhelm Reich
and several other intense thinkers on personal growth.

The community at Cedarwood Sudbury School very graciously
let the lead actor and I hang out there for a day, and that experience
directly informed the JC meeting in the movie. An alumni from
Fairhaven named Ben Umstead was a HUGE part of our production
behind-the-scenes and on-screen for several scenes. There is a staff
member from the Summerhill-inspired Play Mountain Place in the film too.

I've been on this e-mail list for about 5 years, and I wanted to also
spend some time at "the" Sudbury Valley too although they turned me down(!)
because I was told they were sick of visitors. I felt equally frustrated
and delighted by their refusal! :-)

Right now we're finishing up the sound and music for the film and we're
at the very beginning of our promotion campaign. The film will begin
playing festivals in the late Winter of '06, or the Spring of '07.
And if the response is strong enough at the festivals, it will
also play art houses.

You can see pictures and more info at the IMDb:
www.imdb.com/title/tt0491138/

and you can watch the trailer at
our original website:
www.BrooksElms.com

or our MySpace page
www.myspace.com/BrooksElms

And if anybody on this list lives near LA, you're welcome to contact me
off-list and I'll invite you to one of our private sneak preview screenings.

Lastly, I want to thank the people on this list for committing to these values.
My greatest hope is that the film conveys the spirit of what it feels like
when children are genuinely respected and supported. And being a part
of this e-mail group for 5 years, has made a tremendous impact
on my perspective of what that's all about.

All the best,
Brooks Elms
writer-director
SCHOOLED