Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Formal education in education

From: Terence Purtell <screamopiano_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jun 19 17:18:00 2006

I'm completely with you, Bruce.

  I'm a music director for Catholic churches--a field in which I have ZERO school training; and I've been doing pretty well with it. My school training is in "liberal arts", and my undergraduate thesis was in music philosophy (but did not entail any keyboard-playing or choir conducting). Just about everything I needed to know for my career was learned OUTSIDE school. And, aside from the degree (which seemed like a necessary yet empty formality), I believe that the majority of my schooling was a waste of time. Since I learned the most and the most quickly from working for other musicians who took a chance on me, I'm a fan of apprenticing; I only wish that employers in our culture considered apprenticeships a valid means of education.

Bruce Smith <cultural.renewal_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    a postscript: anything that develops one's people skills and one's ability to multitask and interact with the public/the authorities could help prepare one for work as a staff member. yet i'm inclined to say that running one's own business is far better preparation than studying to become a teacher.

  -- bruce

  On 6/15/06, Bruce Smith <cultural.renewal_at_gmail.com> wrote: Mike,

  I received a Master's in Education in 1991. Aside from student teaching and one class (in 2.5 years), it didn't even prepare me one iota to teach in _conventional_ schools: it was purely a credential, and largely a waste of my time. Was it a drawback to Sudbury staffing? Not necessarily, though it did give me more to unlearn.

  Now, the actual _experience_ of teaching, as opposed to teacher education, did help somewhat; certainly my years as a tutor proved useful. A Sudbury staff member must respect and relate to people, and convey information and ideas in an effective manner. But one hardly needs formal education as a teacher to learn this, and indeed, that path is just as likely in my view to warp one's understanding of children and the ways in which they learn.

  Bruce Smith, staff
  Alpine Valley School

--
"I was at this restaurant. The sign said 'Breakfast Anytime.' So I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance."
Steven Wright