Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Introduction, reopening the encouragement/enticement debate

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Wed Jun 14 19:57:00 2006

I think people, kids especially, can tell when someone is trying to
kind of "trick" them into doing something, and when the person is just
talking about a subject or doing something because that, at the moment,
is their passion. It's the same as how, sometimes, you can tell someone
is watching you. I believe this is a survival mechanism for kids. So I
agree that intent is very important.

I also think any Sudbury school will be small enough that even if not
all the kids know the specialities of all the staffers, at the very
least the staffers will know this of each other. Then, all it takes is
a kid drumming on the table with the sides of their fingers, and a
staffer walking by and saying, "You know, Caren plays African rhythms
on the djembe, and it's pretty cool, you guys would probably enjoy
talking about drumming!" I learned a lot this way at SVS.

Cheers!
-Tay