Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Introduction, reopening the encouragement/enticement debate

From: Caren Knox-Hundley <carenkh_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Jun 14 12:30:00 2006

I am not part of an SV school, but we do unschool. I do know the
inherent differences, but one thing I have given thought to is how
*authentic* our lives are. I play West African rhythms on the djembe
- this is something I love to do. In a school setting, I would hope
(as a staff member) that I would have the time and opportunity to
play - because I love to play and want to practice, not because I
wanted to entice anyone to ask me to teach them. Does intent have
anything to do with it? It *feels* different to me. I'm thinking of
a setting where everyone - staff and students - are given space and
time to pursue what they wish. That feels more real to me - more
authentic - than setting up my drum in a courtyard, playing because I
want someone to *want* to learn.

My kids are quick to pick up on anything that feels forced - last
fall, they were watching some PBS show - DragonTales? maybe - and
they said, "Oh, NO! They turned educational!" which meant that
rather than people just conversing on the show, they had added songs,
etc., which were supposed to "teach" some concept. They can feel the
difference. We live our lives, doing things that occur naturally in
the flow of our day. There are not things or times set aside to
"learn" or "teach". It just is.

Just rambling, here...

Caren
in Charlotte, NC