RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Introduction, reopening the encouragement/enticement debate

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Jun 14 10:10:01 2006

Hi Mike,
I had a moment with a seven year old piano student of mine that illustrates
a way of teaching that is non-coercive. I had showed him a particular
arrangement of notes to practice that is hand over hand and he began to
immediately change the pattern to play some other notes which were also hand
over hand and repeated and he said, "I'm just rapidly guessing". Loved it!
I am repeatedly asked in lessons by young children... Do I have to do that?
I always say no absolutely not. What would you like to do? Often they just
want a couple of minutes to arrive at the same conclusion that they are in
fact ready for what I'm showing them. It's an issue of respect really. My
favorite lessons are the ones where the student surprises me in some way.
Delicious! As a policy I will not take a student unless it is their choice
to learn piano. Some of my students work without music in front of them for
a year at a time while I show them pieces by wrote. It is pure bliss to
teach this way.

Carol