Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Introduction, reopening the encouragement/enticement debate

From: Scott David Gray <sgray_at_unseelie.org>
Date: Wed Jun 14 10:08:00 2006

On 6/14/06, Mike Braden <mbraden_at_pharmacy.purdue.edu> wrote:

> I think my questions come from a purely
> philosophical understanding of the model, and I believe some of the
> points I address would be reasonable if the model was more established
> or accepted.

Very, very, few questions can ever be answered in theory. One needs to
know the circumstances and surroundings, in order to make a real
judgement about the right way to proceed. We human beings have a hard
enough time dealing with reality as it is, I have no desire to try and
put down theoretical rules for my own behavior that would cover any
*possible* reality. I don't think that it is very productive to
discuss how one would behave in an imaginary world, until one is
pretty certain how to behave in the world one is presented with.

In any case, we *do* live in a culture that places a particular value
on some choices, and implies that some activities are innately better
than others. If the broader culture were free of the snobbery that
makes many people hold up some activities as *innately* better or
worse than others for other people, then perhaps Sudbury schools as
presently constituted would be all but irrelevant except as places for
people to gather socially. But, for the time being, I for one want to
take the edge off of social pressures that many children feel to
"formally" study anything.

One thing that people look at the Sudbury model "in theory" really
need to realize, is that most of those students who "formally" studied
many things in the school, look back on their time and note that they
did not learn much more significant through formal study than they did
by accident. And that is the key to our success -- not which "classes"
people choose to take, but rather how their daily lives are lived and
the things that are acquired as an *accident* in the process. In fact,
I can say without fear of contradiction, that our students most active
interested in "intellectual" pursuits rarely if ever felt a desire to
attend seminars or classes in the school.

--
-- Scott David Gray
http://www.unseelie.org