Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Introduction, reopening the encouragement/enticement debate

From: Mike Braden <mbraden_at_pharmacy.purdue.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 14 10:06:00 2006

Hi Harlan,

No need to apologize, I definitely have a streak of wanting to show off
what I love, though I would definitely prefer teaching to a smaller
group of people who really want to learn from me than a larger group who
are forced to. One of the things I particularly love about Aikido is
that it does in fact teach patience, which I certainly could use
expanding of into more areas of my life. Furthermore, I'm not quite a
sensei yet, so I can still use that excuse. :-) I take a fair chunk of
my personal philosophy/spirituality from Taoism, much of which has to do
with just letting things flow as they go, bending but not breaking, not
forcing change, but allowing it to happen, etc. I agree that I still
have much to learn about this model. The philosophy of the model really
rings true to me and I enjoy the challenge of trying to shake up my
behaviors to more accurately represent my personal philosophy. I am
primarily interested in the finer details of how the schools work in
practice.

aloha
Mike