Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Introduction, reopening the encouragement/enticement debate

From: Mike Braden <mbraden_at_pharmacy.purdue.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 14 09:46:01 2006

I think I may have answered some of my own questions. After reading a
few more excerpts at the online library of the SVS webpage, particularly
Daniel Greenburg's "Is Sudbury Valley School 'Anti-Intellectual'?"
(http://www.sudval.org/05_onli_14.html#05), I think I have a better
appreciation as to why a staffer at a Sudbury school would default to
not encouraging a student. I think my questions come from a purely
philosophical understanding of the model, and I believe some of the
points I address would be reasonable if the model was more established
or accepted. I think Daniel Greenburg's points on having to be *very*
careful not to encourage interests in areas that would be considered
traditional academic curricula and the lingering pressure to pursue a
more traditional curricula that can be placed on students from parents
or even new staff members are especially relevent. In a practical
sense, I can see that it can be very hard to distinguish between honest,
non-judgemental encouragement to pursue something the student might
enjoy and a subtle pressure to pursue an area that the adult thinks is
important.

aloha
Mike