[Discuss-sudbury-model] Democratic Schools Documentary

From: Isaac Graves <isaacgraves_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 17 14:14:00 2006

The democratic schools documentary is now
available world-wide. I watched it yesterday for
the first time and was really impressed. You can find out more by visiting:

http://www.educationrevolution.org/demdocumentary.html

-Isaac

Democratic Schools: A Film About the Desire to Learn

At democratic schools pupils themselves can
decide, what and how they want to learn. There
are no curricula, no censorship, and examinations
are voluntary. Pupils and teachers have the same
rights and organize their schools together.
Everyone has a voice with decisions. Can that be done well?

Background
When it finally became clear that we, the
KinderRÄchTsZÄnker (a group of young people
campaigning for children's rights) were going to
undertake the costly task of organising IDEC
2005, we got an exciting idea. It occurred to us
that this conference would offer a good and what
is more extremely rare opportunity to tell the
German public in documentary format about the
worldwide alternatives to the current national school routine.

We were able to start from the fact that several
hundred people from all over the world, experts
in the area of "democratic education", were going
to meet in Berlin in the summer of 2005. R Kahl's
film, "Hothouses of the future", had aroused much
interest at the end of 2003 and we were already
busy producing the documentary film, "Pretty Cool
System", which has since been issued, so we
became more confident that a film like
"Democratic Schools" would attract wide
attention.However, we still had to decide what we
actually wanted to achieve with a film like this.
It soon became obvious to us that our target
audience should not be those who were already
experts in the politics of education. The idea
emerged that we should produce a film that would
try to show, as factually and objectively as
possible, what unites these schools that assemble
once a year under the visionary banner of democracy.

After a long process of selection we decided to
have this project produced by the award-winning
film-maker, Jan Gabbert. The fact that the costs
for this are to be assumed by the National
Ministry for Education and Research also gives us
good reason to hope that this film will appeal to a wide public.