Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Articles about SVS and Fairhaven

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Fri May 12 14:45:00 2006

I love how in these articles it often says, "there aren't EVEN grades."
Like, it's even more shocking for most to not have grades than it is to
not have curriculum. Kind of goes to show how helpless coercive
schooling leaves you... "but if I don't have grades, how will I know if
I am doing anything right? How will I know I'm learning?" Umm...
because you will know more stuff.

I guess it's a good point, though. The feeling of having learned
something from school may be totally foreign to anyone who has worked
exclusively through a coercive curriculum. Many people only ever learn
what it feels like to get a gold star... and never see how awesome it
can be to become possessed by a thirst for knowledge.