[Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] how do computers influence the childīs development?

From: Scott David Gray <sdavidgray_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 11 09:15:01 2006

I believe that, as with all new media, people who did not grow up with
it do not always understand it -- and that within a couple generations
the idea that computers are dangerous will feel as outlandish as the
idea that movies are dangerous (30s), that radio is dangerous (turn of
century), that plays are dangerous (17th century) or that reading is
dangerous (back a bit further).

For what it's worth, there is *no* question in my mind that young kids
who can freely use computers pick up reading, writing and spelling at
an age that is extraordinalrily young by the standards of my
generation. That on its own isn't an argument if favor in my mind --
the argument in favor is that many children's own internal compass
moves them to use the computer.

BTW, here's another couple search terms for the archives (searchable
from http://www.sudval.org/04_sear_01.html): "Television" "Video
Games"

I'd also suggest the book Killing Monsters by Gerard Jones, for people
interested in this subject.

When you search journal's I bet that you'll have a hard time finding
any concrete evidence... People on either side of the debate have
concocted flawed studies. And, more important, is the question of what
is or isn't a positive effect? If reading books or playing video games
made children demonstrably more likely to question authority, is that
good or bad?

--
-- Scott David Gray
http://www.unseelie.org