[Discuss-sudbury-model] how do computers influence the childīs development?

From: Ilja <iljafaun_at_wanadoo.nl>
Date: Thu May 11 08:24:01 2006

Hi,

Since I couldnīt find a related post in the ī05 and ī06 archives i have taken the freedom to post this new topic.

Iīm engaged in a sudbury inspired school and I keep wondering about the long-term effects of computers on the developing child.

Iīm honest to say I was raised in an technology sceptic family and my wive is very much against anything with a screen. Itīs often heard in our house that computers are like alcohol or drugs and should be forbidden to youngsters just the same. Despite this somewhat prejudiced background I have an open mind to whatever computers may mean to younger generations and I would like to have some decent studies on this matter.

Thus far, all I couldīt find were studies pro and against, focussing on minor effects such as the ability to do certain visual tasks or reading. I personally donīt care if a gamer becomes a brilliant laparoscopist or a bad reader. Iīm much more interested in overall well beeing.

Does anyone know of studies caried out by acceptably neutral (nor waldorf or microsoft) parties on this subject?

Thank you for your trouble,

Ilja, from the Netherlands