Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Desperadoes

From: Hughes <hughes0005_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Apr 29 09:13:00 2006

I went to an extremely structured religious private high school. We always
had a few students in each class whose families had private school-hopped.
Parents were seeking some place, any place, that would help them with their
teenager's behavior problems. I think that it is normal to have a mixture
of reasons for trying a school. Desperados most assuredly have very good
reasons for being in their state of mind. I met this pediatrician once who
said to me that he had never seen a child with ADHD, but he had seen plenty
of parents who needed to be tranquilized. The profound acceptance that I
have seen offered to the students at SVS over the years while students "work
it out" is inspiring, both from the staff and the student body. Freedom is
a daunting responsibility. The power that it evokes from the students at
SVS is hard to adequately put into words. Where there is power being
unleashed, especially with the awesome energy of teenagers, there are going
to be bumps and slides.
Regards,
Carol