RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Desperadoes

From: Lynanne Fowle <lynanne_at_thefowles.com>
Date: Sat Apr 29 08:35:00 2006

I'm starting a democratic school in North Carolina, but have spent the last
3 years running a charter high school in which we had many "desperados."

But like any other classification of children, desperados came in many sizes
and shapes, and we were able to "save" many more of them than we let go. For
students who have been damaged by the public school system, especially those
that came to us in their teens with plenty of bad experiences behind them,
it sometimes takes a long time for them to "deschool" and find value in the
educational environment.

In many cases, the SVS model would have been very beneficial for them
because it allows them the freedom to chart their own course -- in many
cases for the first time. The charter school environment, although better
than traditional schools for children who can't cope with the intense
structure, still wasn't perfect because the state requires tons of
coursework before they will certify a diploma. Many of my kids needed to
have positive experiences and find their niche before they could concentrate
on "schoolwork" and a career focus, and we barely had time to make that
happen.

But, in my experience, if your staff is compassionate and your school is
centered around the primary value of personal respect, it won't matter if
you are a small school or a big school, because even desperado children are
children and are usually just looking for an environment where people take
them seriously and they can have some control over their lives. If you stay
true to your mission and not waver once you open the doors (and continuously
reinforce your values through your school meetings and communication with
parents/community), you will be successful regardless of who attends.

It is also my experience that the parents are usually more of a problem than
their children in some of these "desperado" cases, because their own
experience has been more traditional, but you can be very firm with them
about what your school does and does not do and then just let the children
"deschool" at their own pace and find their own way. The other issue we ran
into was board members who wanted to change the charter school's mission
because they thought we were TOO compassionate and TOO respectful of our
students, but that's another story entirely! :)

Thanks,
Lynanne Fowle