RE: [Discuss-sudbury-model] Re: Desperadoes

From: Sam Senteney <sambo01_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri Apr 28 21:06:01 2006

Tay,

Two things tell me you misunderstood what Stuart said.

"it took me more than ten years to convince"

"circumstances in my life over which I had no control"

When you say that you had to do the convincing for that long, it is clear
you understood what the philosophy was about and was pursuing it. The
"Desperados" in question are very much like the ones Sacramento Valley
School has had in their history. These students typically did not pursue
the school - the parents did. The second part about you having
circumstances over which you has no control is not the case with many of the
"Desperados". They have control, and exercise it by not following rules or
subverting the processes that make the school function. Those are the very
behaviors that got them kicked out of the schools they came from. They
promise to be good, and then skirt the law as close as they can get until
they finally succumb and step over the line again. Trust me, they were in
control and were taking their parents and the school for a ride. They chose
to get expelled once again.

Students like these are corrosive to a schools culture and do in fact drive
new students away from the school. This is not to say that every kid who
was labeled a bad egg by the outside is like this. There have been some who
took a while to "get it", exhibiting undesirable community behavior early in
their tenure. The problem with the younger schools is exactly as Stuart
describes - the need to keep and increase enrollments, the idealism, and the
unwillingness to let someone leave the school because it would look like you
are giving up on them.

The reality is that the survival of the school has a priority over the
toleration of one student with a willful disregard and demonstrated contempt
for the laws and well-being of the school community. It is a hard lesson
for the younger school. It really has nothing to do with the students who
try to get in and have circumstances over which they have no control.

Sam