Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] working at a Sudbury school

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Mon Feb 27 22:03:00 2006

Here's my alumni-of-ten-years-ago perspective, which may be inaccurate
or outdated:

I don't know about other schools, but at SVS, you hang out for a week
or so and get to know people. Then you can run for a staff position.
You'd get voted in, if you'd made a good connection with the community.
Sometimes this means someone else on staff is voted out. Every year,
you have to get re-elected. I believe salary is also voted upon by
everyone at the school.

If I were going to vote for someone to staff a Sudbury school I was
attending, I would look for these skills:
-patience and compassion,
-intelligence,
-ability to communicate well and respectfully,
-extensive understanding of the Sudbury philosophy, and a passion for
promoting it,
-wide variety of interests and expertise (I'd of course be slightly
biased in favour of interests I shared or thought I might grow to
share).

-Tay