[Discuss-sudbury-model] passion and addictions

From: Ann Ide <ann.ide_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed Feb 22 10:04:00 2006

I have a few questions that I'd love to hear the Sudbury model's perspective on.

Is there a point when one might consider following ones passion an unhealthy obsession, or addiction, versus a healthy pursuit of ones passion? For example, what if someone is pursuing their interest to the extent that they lose concern for taking proper care of their health ( ie never exercising, getting too little sleep, etc.), prefer their pursuit over social time with family or friends, or anything else, for that matter, etc. In other words, it becomes an obsession that takes priority over everything else, for the most part. We become addicted to something which brings us pleasure. I think we can still have choice over some of our addictions, and sometimes we don't. Should we accept all forms/degrees of "pursuing ones passion" as healthy and okay?

And this complicates it even more.... are there some "passions" which might be considered less worthy than others? What if the passion is watching cartoons on tv all day and night, or porn ? Is there a place for judging what ones passion is ?

I'd like to discuss this from the perspective of a Sudbury parent, not how it would be handled only in the school context. How would you also handle this in the home? School is the place where the student's choices will not be judged or directed, as long as no school rules are broken. To what extent do we let that carry over into home life?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ann Ide