Re: [Discuss-sudbury-model] ADD and ADHD

From: Tay Arrow Sherman <tay_at_anatomyofhope.net>
Date: Fri Feb 17 21:38:00 2006

I agree with Evan. I was diagnosed with ADD around 1993, and put on a
severe regimen of Ritalin for it. Halfway through my sophomore year in
high school, I enrolled in SVS. Tossed the Ritalin, which never did
much for me anyway. At SVS, I learned how to work with the grain of my
mind, rather than against it.

  I work with several public school educators in Georgia, and most of
them agree that public school students get a lot of busy work. Often, I
think it's the administrative policy to give kids a little curriculum
and a lot of busy work. No wonder the kids are acting out, daydreaming,
and learning nothing. It's like that pretty early on, or it was at the
Massachusetts public schools I started out in. Children notice they're
being given material that means nothing and serves no purpose other
than to occupy their time. I don't know what kind of educational path
you and your son are pursuing at the moment, but in my opinion a free
form learning environment is well suited to a kid who has trouble
paying attention in a traditional school environment. It gives the
child an opportunity to follow their attentions and interests as they
crop up, in the moment, rather than forcing themselves only to read
from ten to ten thirty, or whatever. :)

I don't speak for anyone else who is involved with SVS. However, my
personal opinion is that coercive schooling is the problem that causes
ADD and ADHD symptoms, and in my experience these symptoms are not a
disease in themselves.

Cheers!

-Tay

-Tay