[Discuss-sudbury-model] ADD and ADHD

From: Dr. Evan Hughes <evanhughes_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri Feb 17 18:36:00 2006

  Dear Cheryl,
      I see ADD and ADHD like this:
      If I took a polar bear out of the North Pole and put him in the desert, would you say he died of a fur disorder? No, thatís stupid; polar bears are supposed to have fur. Who started this whole crusade of kids rebelling socially being disordered? I studied Anatomy and physiology with a woman who had ADD and Dyslexia and the wench consistently scored higher then me. If I got a 92, she got a 94. If I got a 97 she aced the exam. Can you tell Iím still fuming?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
      I canít take notes in class if you expect me to learn anything; my brain wonít write and think at the same time. I also have to have passion about the subject Iím learning and it must be from someone who knows in better then I do, if not, I get all the ADD / ADHA / Dyslexia symptoms in the book.
      There is nothing wrong with me or any of our children for that matter.
      There are two other causes for a pattern of totally lack of ability in something other then emotional disinterest that Iím aware of.
1- diet. Children with allergic reactions to foods not right for them can become retarded in their ability to think, coordinate actions or learn. Ask anyone who works with children after snack time who the upstarts are.
2- There upper cervical spines can be misaligned from birth trauma on a subtle level causing nerve ďstaticĒ and imbalance of the sympathetic nerve system (The system that makes you jump and ready to fight or run.) Thatís what I do as a Chiropractor.

In all three cases (1-diet, 2-spinal issues, 3-wrong environment) there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the child. Not at all. There is a response to insults to the childís nerve system (Chemically, physically or emotionally) preventing the expression of natural learning.
     Remember Einstein couldn'tít spell his own name until he was 7 years old. Also remember that 60% or our school age population has some kind of learning disorder according to standers. When does the culture wake up and say ďThatís the norm for what weíre doing to our children.Ē
      So my tirade is simply, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Sudbury model schools donít need to address ADD or ADHA because their not real entities. Children find their own way of adaptation to the world and learn to work with their mind no matter how itís wired.

Evan